Friday, June 02, 2006

Wow them with your bubbly personality.

This week I attended the “job interview” of 2006. To set the scene, picture mister nora, in a suit [of human hair, and some other threads], in an office, shaking hands, maybe twitching a little.

Anyhow, the interview starts, they ask me some totally crazy shit such as “what are your strengths?” and “why do you want to work for us?” etc, man, where do they come up with this stuff? Normally in this situation I would be pretty nervous, like, my whole worth as a person [est. $17.52] was being assessed by some wacky dudes from HR [WHAT IS WITH HR DUDES; WHY MUST THEY SMILE LIKE SHARKS/ASK QUESTIONS/CONTACT MY REFERENCES? Like, just CHILL OUT, dudes, woah.]. This time, though, I was CONFIDENT LIKE A FOX.

You see, I had a super powerful secret weapon on my side. And it’s time to get excited, friends, because out of the pure golden kindness of my charred and filthy heart, today, I am going to share my secret with YOU!

When you are in a job interview situation, CURE YOUR ANXIETY in one simple move:
IMAGINE YOU ARE ROCKY.
- Do this by PUNCHING THE AIR, and maybe also your INTERVIEWER.
- Make sure you are SWEATING PROFUSELY, and have EATEN SOME RAW EGGS.
- SNARL, and ensure your NOSE LOOKS BROKEN.
- FINALLY, the finishing touch, without which you cannot be Rocky:

AS YOU ENTER THE INTERVIEW ROOM, YOUR SOUNDTRACK MUST BE “EYE OF THE TIGER”; I REPEAT, “EYE OF THE TIGER”.

Preferably “Eye of the Tiger” will be performed by a “Quality Pop/Rock Cover Band with Influences Including Bryan Adams, P Diddy, Dave Mathews Band, Tortoise, Queen, Frank Sinatra and various Hardcore Metal Acts”. If this is too hard to arrange (DO YOU REALLY WANT THIS JOB?), another option is to simply play the song on repeat in your head as you stride in to BLOW THEM AWAY WITH YOUR POWERFUL ROCKY MOVES.


They are sure to hire you.



No doubt about it.




Just remember, dudes: it’s all in the eye of the tiger.



xoxo nora

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dea Mister Nora

Would the final countdown be an acceptible theme song to play minutes later when you are fired/being escorted out of the building?

Dave "Apollo Creed" Mack

that's mister nora to you, sonny said...

Dear Dave Mack,

I'm glad to see you're getting into the spirit of things! Previously I have relied on the tunes from Police Academy 5 for such moments and it is totally annoying because every time I hear those songs my heart QUITE LITERALLY SWELLS UP AND EXPLODES OF BITTERSWEET MELANCHOLY. Final Countdown it is.

xoxo nora